Historic Sites of Manitoba: Slave Falls Generating Station (Winnipeg River, Whiteshell Provincial Park)
This hydroelectric generating station was built between 1930 and 1931 on the Winnipeg River, in what is now Whiteshell Provincial Park, by the firm of Stewart and Grant for the Winnipeg Hydro Electric System (later, Winnipeg Hydro). Opened by Winnipeg Mayor Ralph H. Webb on 1 September 1931, it provided electricity to the City of Winnipeg. It is now operated by Manitoba Hydro.
A small brick building was used by the Winnipeg Hydro Tramway that operated between Pointe du Bois and Slave Falls. The tramway has since been replaced by a road and the building is now used for storage.
“To all Hydro employees,” The Dotted Line, August 1931, page 2. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
We thank Fred Gunkel and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 March 2020
Back to top of page