Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sansome School (181 Sansome Avenue, Winnipeg)
Built during the spring and summer of 1965 to serve the growing needs of the Westwood area, this St. James - Assiniboia School Division school, like the street on which it is located, commemorates local municipal official Joseph Henry Sansome. Designed by architect John M. Venables of the firm of Pratt, Lindgren and Associates, the building was constructed by the Arlington Builders at a cost of $534,016. It opened for classes in November 1965 and an official opening ceremony, attended by Premier Duff Roblin, occurred on 19 May 1966. Initially serving junior high grades, the facility was later converted into an elementary school.
Among the other teachers of Sansome Junior High School was Leslie B. Ewacha.
Photos & Coordinates
“Truck backs over cyclist on ground,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 July 1967, page 4.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), GR 1196, Archives of Manitoba.
A Brief History of the Origin and Development of Sansome Junior High, St. James Assiniboia School Division, 1974.
“St. James-Assiniboia School Division No. 2,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 December 1994, page 70.
Obituary [Leslie Bohdan Ewacha], Winnipeg Free Press, 11 April 2020.
We thank Mari-Jean Nachtigall, Bill Cann, Arnold Reimer, and Dorothy Young for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 January 2023