Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitou School No. 314 (Souris Avenue, Manitou, Municipality of Pembina)
The Manitou School District was organized formally in February 1884 and a schoolhouse operated in the community of Manitou, in what is now the Municipality of Pembina. Its first teacher was Leonard Wilson. The new high school was built at the site in 1910 and a replacement elementary school in 1913. The original school was renovated into a private residence.
The Manitou Consolidated School District was established in July 1912, and operated until May 1971 when it became part of Pembina Valley School Division. It consolidated several smaller rural schools, including New Haven School No. 78, Mount Carmel School No. 238, Mowbray School No. 245, Riverdale School No. 323, Pembina Crossing School No. 324, Middleton School No. 404, Kaleida School No. 433, Lore School No. 466, Hazel School No. 517, Stanley School No. 535, Overdale School No. 582, McFadden School No. 774, Midland School No. 845, Willow Bluff School No. 1334, Boundary School No. 1339, and New Haven School No. 2110. As of the early 1990s, the school building remained at the site. Now it has been replaced by a monument that incorporates shards from the 1913 school facade and its bell.
Teachers (partial list)
Photos & Maps
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
“Western news notes [Manitou High School],” Manitoba Free Press, 27 October 1910, page 3.
“Early life in Manitou recalled as “real, earnest” by pioneer,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 November 1947, page 15.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Pembina Valley SD Vote Sept. 27,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 December 1963, page 5.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Pat Miles for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 5 July 2017
Back to top of page