Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hazel School No. 517 (RM of Pembina)
Hazel School was established in October 1887, and a school building was erected on the northwest quarter of 2-4-9 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Pembina. It operated until July 1966 when it merged with Manitou Consolidated School No. 314.
Among the teachers of Hazel School were Nellie McClung (1890-1891) and Miss Edith Young.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Wallcraft’s vision preserves past,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 August 1980, page 4.
Hazel School file, Archibald Museum.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 September 2017
Back to top of page