Historic Sites of Manitoba: John Black Memorial Presbyterian Church / John Black Memorial United Church (898 Henderson Highway, Winnipeg)
In April 1914, a public meeting was held to organize a Presbyterian congregation in the district. A few months later, the congregation chose the name John Black Memorial Church in honour of John Black, one of first Presbyterian ministers of the west. By October 1914, the original church structure was constructed on land donated by Mr. R. A. Ross. In 1925, John Black Memorial Church joined the United Church of Canada. In August 1926, a devastating fire struck the church and the building was destroyed. Services were held in Lord Wolseley School and the Scottish Hall until a new building was erected.
In 1927, a new church designed by Winnipeg architect Edgar Prain was constructed at the northwest corner of Henderson Highway and Robert Avenue. This church was used until 1957 when a new church was built next to the church one built in 1927.
The third church was designed by the architectural firm of Smith Carter and Katelnikoff and built in 1957 by the North American Builders Limited for a cost of about $150,000. When the new church was completed, the 1927 church was converted to a Christian Education Centre. A plaque inside the church commemorates parishioners who were killed during the First World War.
Among the clerics who served at John Black Memorial was Hugh John Robertson (1918-?).
First World War Casualties
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
For the names of First World War casualities from Manitoba who do not appear on any physical monument in the province, see the Manitoba Historical Society War Memorial. If you know of a name that is omitted from this list, please contact the MHS War Memorial Researcher Darryl Toews (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Soldiers of the First World War - Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
Canadian Virtual War Memorial, Veterans Affairs Canada.
Financial support for research reported on this page was provided by the Manitoba Heritage Grants Program (2015-2016).
John Black Memorial United Church, Winnipeg Architecture Foundation.
John Black Memorial United Church, Manitoba Archival Information Network.
We thank Ross Wedlake for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 17 July 2022