Historic Sites of Manitoba: Clearwater School No. 106 (Clearwater, Municipality of Louise)
The Clearwater School District was established formally in November 1880, and a school building was erected in the old village of Clearwater, on the east side of the creek, in what is now Municipality of Louise. The first teacher was William Galagher, earning a salary of $380 per year. In 1898, a two-classroom schoolhouse was built to the east of the present school building. That building, closed as of 2001, is now used for community activities. As rural schools from the surrounding countryside closed, their students came here: The Oaks School No. 412, Cypress School No. 175, Crystal River School No. 243, Mount Prospect School No. 249, and St. Lawrence School No. 646.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Clearwater, Man”, Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map by Charles E. Goad, Toronto & Montreal, May 1910, Library and Archives Canada.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Captured Memories: A Pictorial History of the R.M. of Louise by Pilot Mound Museum, 2000. [Copy at Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.L69 Cap]
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 December 2020