Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

CharleswoodManitoba Communities: Charleswood (Unincorporated Rural Municipality)

Link to:
Population | Mayors / Reeves | Memorable Manitobans | Historic Sites | History Books | Maps | Sources

The basis for the name of this municipality is unclear. Some sources indicate it was named by people from St. Charles, the area across the Assiniboine River, who crossed to cut wood here. It has also been suggested the name was given in commemoration of Charles Kelly, the only one of five sons of early settler Patrick H. Kelly who remained in the area and developed building lots in it.

Present Status

City of Winnipeg (1 January 1972)

Incorporation History

Rural Municipality of Charleswood (15 February 1913)
Amalgamation of Assiniboia, Brooklands, Charleswood, East Kildonan, Fort Garry, North Kildonan, Old Kildonan, St. Boniface, St. James, St. Vital, Transcona, Tuxedo, West Kildonan, and Winnipeg (1 January 1972)

Land Area (square km)

?

Population

Year

Total

1901

450

1911

701

1921

869

1931

1226

1941

1934

1951

3680

1956

4982

1961

6243

1966

7373

1971

12180

Reeves

Term

Reeve

1913

George Thomas Chapman (1861-1940)

1914-1916

William Cyrenius Hall (1862-1920)

1917-1926

George Thomas Chapman (1861-1940)

1927-1928

Thomas McKnight (1873-1939)

1929-1930

Frank Allen Sparrow (1878-1967)

1931

Thomas McKnight (1873-1939)

1932

George Thomas Chapman (1861-1940)

1933-1935

Thomas McKnight (1873-1939)

1936-1945

Arnold Parkin (1891-1948)

1946-1953

John Holmes Cathcart (1892-1959)

1954-1955

James F. Cox

1956-1959

John Holmes Cathcart (1892-1959)

1960-1963

C. F. Hayward

1964-1965

Jan K. “John” Hilgenga (1906-1992)

1966-1971

Arthur Thomas Moug (1926-2003)

1972

Merged into Winnipeg

Sources:

Manitoba Gazette, 1913-1971. Manitoba Legislative Library.

An Act to Amend The Municipal Boundaries Act, Statutes of Manitoba, 3 George V, 1913, Chapter 41, page 133.

“Charleswood’s isolation charms people,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 December 1971, page 22.

Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.

We thank Cyril Doherty for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 14 May 2017

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.