Manitoba History: Review Essay: Winnipeg Architecture Foundation Book Series
by Marilyn Baker
1. See www.winnipegarchitecture.ca
3. See Marjorie Gillies, Street of Dreams, The Story of Broadway Western Canada’s First Boulevard, Winnipeg: Heartland Publications, 2001 and the WBI for help in identifying some of the former historic buildings of (and off) Broadway. The Gillies book is not cited. See also William Paul Thompson, Winnipeg Architecture, Winnipeg: Queenston House, 1975 (revised 1982) for information on specific Broadway buildings, including Hotel Fort Garry, 222 Broadway (page 15), Union Station, Main St. and Broadway (page 19), Devon Court, 376 Broadway, now destroyed (page 30), the Legislative Building and Monarch Life Building, 333 Broadway (page 17). Manitoba Club (identified in Broadway Modern as architect unknown) is, according to most sources, the work of Frank Peters. Peters was with George Browne, the architect of University of Winnipeg’s Wesley Hall (WBI). See also Jill Wade, Manitoba Architecture to 1940, Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, 1976.
5. The last three modernist buildings constructed on Broadway were Union Centre (1990, Friesen, Tokar, Reynolds Architectural Partnership), Revenue Canada Offices (1993, Anonymous) and Cambrian Credit Union (2001, David Goyer Architecture). Sovereign Life (1956-1957, Moody and Moore Architects) was significantly remodeled in 2011 (Cohlmeyer Architects). Two storeys were added.
7. See “Legislature High-Rise Ban Gets Basic Ok,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 May 1975 and Alice Krueger, “Doern Denies Woodsworth Block Too High,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 February 1976. See also WBI for a fuller appreciation of the Woodsworth Building’s interior spaces and a perspective on the selection of building decoration for an important public building in “Mural Artists Approved,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 October 1975 and Arlene Billinkoff, “Woodsworth Building Primping for $15,000 Art,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 June 1976.
8. Following Lloyd Axworthy’s appointment in 2004 as President, the University of Winnipeg embarked on a massive and controversial campus expansion. The author identifies seven new and three remodeled buildings as a part of it, including McFeetors Hall (2008-2009), Buhler Centre (2010), AnX (2011), Richardson College for the Environment and Science Complex (2011-2012), and UNITED Health & RecPlex (2014). UWinnipeg Commons, a housing complex, is slated for completion in 2015.
9. See Nick Martin, “Province Covers Half of Huge Campus Overhaul,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 April 2008.
10. See: From Rural Parkland to Urban Centre, One Hundred Years of Growth at the University of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press, 1978, pages 10-11 for what the U of M looked like in the central quadrangle area, circa 1920 and circa 1925. Appendix B in Parkland is a walking tour of the U of M campus as it existed in 1977.
11. The first historic U of M building removed after Project Domino commenced was the Employee Relations Building, formerly the Home Management House (1939, Ralph Ham), also identified as Alumni House. ART/lab took over the vacated space. To preserve the Employee Relations Building would have required moving it and would have been prohibitively expensive, according to current University of Manitoba President David Barnard. ART/lab, 180 Dafoe Road, also alters and thus impinges on the original building symmetry of Tache Hall (1911, Hooper and Horwood). A walkway between ART/lab and Tache Hall connects ART/lab to Tache Hall through a former Tache Hall second story window. See Nick Martin “Spring University of Manitoba Fire Sets Progress Back, Duff Roblin Blaze Delays Crucial Projects,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 September 2009.
12. See WBI for images of old “Old” Court House, 140 Kennedy Street (1882-1883, C. O. Wickenden), burned in 1957, and Charles Wheeler’s addition (1893-1894), demolished in 1965. Wheeler’s additions included, along with other stained glass, the Robson Hall Justice panel. Before its reinstallation on the University of Manitoba campus the Justice panel was located after 1965 in the “Old” Law Courts building downtown. Many law students on the University of Manitoba’s downtown campuses knew the window and were reputably fond of it.
Page revised: 10 July 2015Back to top of page