Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fort Garry Hotel (222 Broadway, Winnipeg)
The Fort Garry Hotel is the sole surviving remnant in Winnipeg from the era of grand railway hotels. Designed by Montreal architects George A. Ross and David H. MacFarlane, constructed between 1911 and 1913, and opened at a grand ball on 10 December 1913, the hotel is Manitoba’s only example of the Château architectural style. Located a block west of Union Station, the landmark hotel has magnificently well-preserved banquet halls and rooms reminiscent of the opulent pampering of the past. In 1980, a commemorative plaque was unveiled by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. It became a provincially-designated historic site (1990) and a municipally-designated historic site. The building was recognized with a Heritage Winnipeg Conservation Award in 2001.
“Opening ball at the Fort Garry function of great brilliancy,” Manitoba Free Press, 11 December 1913, page 9.
Hotel Fort Garry, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 August 2019
Back to top of page