Memorable Manitobans: Alexander Jamieson (1868-1959)
Born at Ayrshire, Scotland in January 1868, he moved with his family to South Africa in 1901 and worked in the building trade for several years before coming to Canada in 1905, then to Winnipeg in 1908. He continued working in construction, with Geoffrey Hitzler Walton and on his own account, being responsible for residences, theatres, and apartment blocks around the city.
On 31 December 1890, he married Elizabeth ? (1870-1952) and they subsequently had three children: Elizabeth Sanderon “Cissy” Jamieson (1892-1983, wife of Walter Hamilton Fogg), Alexander “Alex” Jamieson (1895-?), and John Jamieson (1900-1975). He lived at 450 Agnes Street (circa 1912) and 2156 Gallagher Avenue (circa 1956).
He was one of the founders and a President of the Winnipeg Burns Club, and he served as a trustee on the Burns Monument Fund for many years. He was an organizer of the Ayrshire Association, a President of the Brittania Soccer Club, and a member of the Thistle Curling Club and Masons (Prince Rupert Lodge).
Some of his construction works in Manitoba included:
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Marriage registration [Lizzie Sanderson Jamieson], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Their majesties congratulate couple,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 January 1950, page 9.
“Retired builder marks 80th year,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 November 1956, page 2.
“Active worker in Scottish groups dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 November 1959, page 4.
Obituary, Winnipeg Tribune, 11 November 1959, page 38.
Obituary [John Jamieson], Winnipeg Free Press, 9 January 1975, page 31.Error processing SSI file
Obituary [Elizabeth S. Fogg], Winnipeg Free Press, 2 July 1983, page 56.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 March 2022