Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elm Valley School No. 869 (RM of Pipestone)

The Elm Valley School District was established formally in February 1896 and a school building was situated at the southwest corner of 2-9-28 west in the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone. The school closed in 1958 and the district was dissolved in 1964. Its remaining students went to Woodnorth Consolidated School No. 1533. The school building was moved beside the Woodnorth United Church where it was used as a Sunday School. A monument at the original site dedicated on 24 July 1988 commemorates it, as well as the Elm Valley Post Office that operated from 1883 to 1906.

The teachers of Elm Valley School were Ellen Graham (1896-1897), Jean Waldie (1897-1898), Mary Povak (1898-1899), Henrietta S. Messer (1901-1902), Mary Hodson (1902-1903), A. F. MacDonald (1903-1904), Mabel Spurr (1904-1905), Lena C. MacKay (1905-1906), Olive Linline (1907-1910), Ethel G. Scott (1910), Lottie Gibson (1910), Mildred McKenzie (1912), Mae McFarline, Cassie Mellish, Miss Einerson, Delena Campbell, Miss Colthart, Nellie Barr, Dorothy Rayner (1921-1922), Myrtle Smeltz (1923), Edith May Good (1923-1925), Wilda Manson (1925-1928), Beatrice Rei (1928), J. M. Paterson (1928-1937), Charlotte Hatch (1937-1939), Dorothy Wherrett (1939-1940), Myrtle Ardon (1940-1942), Gwendolyn Armstrong (1942), Gladys Gardiner (1942-1944), PhyIlis Tolton (1944-1945), Gwennith Reeves (1945-1946), M. Adams (1946-1947), M. E. Wardle (1947-1948), Ivan Llewellyn Traill (1948-1949), Gwen Norsworthy (1950-1951), Josephine Demchuk (1951-1952), Vema Mae Van Iderstine (1952-1953), Vincent Lawrence (1953-1954), Norma Nichol (1954-1955), Mrs. Ralph Sinclair (1955-1956), Roy J. Little (1956-1957), and Janet Sararas (1957-1958).

Elm Valley School

Elm Valley School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 14.

Elm Valley School commemorative monument

Elm Valley School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.70998, W101.17831
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, page 192. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]

We thank Sandra Garvie and Ken Storie for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 8 July 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!