Historic Sites of Manitoba: North Lakeland School No. 754 (Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
A log building near the Lakeland railway siding, in what is now the Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone, served as a school from 1883 to 1892. With an increase in local population, North Lakeland School District was organized formally in August 1893. A school building was erected in the northwest quarter of 28-15-9 west of the Principal Meridian. The first North Lakeland School was replaced in 1910, and that frame one-room building served the district until June 1967 when the district was amalgamated into Pine Creek School Division and the remaining students were bused to Langruth. A monument was unveiled at the site in 2000 and dedicated to the teachers, trustees, parents and students of North Lakeland School.
Among the teachers of North Lakeland School was Verma M. Wilton (1911), J. Irvine (1911), L. Gottfred (1911), Edith Isabella Martin (1943-1944), J. Rafukelsson (1944), Leila Duffin (1946), Iola Maybelle Hammond (1946-1947), Julie Sladek (1949-1951), Dorothy Amelia Lees (1951-1952), Lillian Doris Edwards (1952-1953), Miss Eileen Lillian Germain (1953-1954), Iola Ann Aileen Hollier Lasson (1954-1958), Margaret Armstrong (1957), Patricia Elinor Hill Robershaw (1958-1960), Dorothy Myrtle Blair (1960-1961), Kristjan Arnason (1961-1962), Elizabeth Nettie Johnson (1962-1964), Barbara Anne Jackson (1964-1965), and Mary Louise Reading (1965-1966).
“Langruth news,” Portage la Prairie Leader, 3 September 1953, page 11.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, North Lakelands School District No. 754 Daily Registers, GR3152, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 17 December 2019
Back to top of page