The North Lake School District was organized formally in March 1907 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW11-29-18W in the Rural Municipality of Mossey River. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its area became part of the Duck Mountain School Division. Only the concrete steps of the former school building were present at the time of a 2015 site visit.
Among the teachers of North Lake School were John Kerkach, Miss Safinuik, and Mr. Zurbyk.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: North Lakeland School No. 754 (Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 April 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.