Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Meleb School No. 1665 (Meleb, RM of Armstrong)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Meleb was named after local farmer Stefan Melnyk and storekeeper Abraham Lebman, who donated land for the Canadian Pacific Railway station and siding at the site around 1910.

Meleb School, formed on 20 February 1913 by By-Law 229 of the Rural Municipality of Gimli, was originally named King George School. In 1914, the predominantly Ukrainian and Polish pioneers of the area contracted Michael Gottfried (builder of the nearby St. Michael’s Archangels Church) to construct a school. A one-room frame building was erected on this site, at SW23-20-2 east of the Principal Meridian operating within the Rural Municipality of Kruezberg, now part of the Rural Municipality of Armstrong.

A second room, designed by architect Gilbert C. Parfitt, added in 1925 after enrolment peaked at 83 students in 1923-24. The school taught grades 1 to 8 until 1925 and grades 1 to 10 from 1925 to 1942. Grades 9 and 10 were taken by correspondence from 1942 to 1954. Grades 1 to 11 were taught until 1960, at which time grades 1 to 8 were taught until 1967. Evergreen School took over secondary education in 1959. Meleb School closed in 1967 when all education was consolidated in the province. The school building was sold and converted into a private residence. This cairn was dedicated on 7 July 1990 in front of the former school building. A model of the original school building sits in nearby Meleb-Park-Cumming Schools Reunion Park.

Principals

Period

Principal

1925-1935

?

1935-1937

Adam William Muzychuk

1937-1942

William Chimchak (1902-1981)

1942-1954

No Principal

1954-1955

James Somerville McKessock (1911-1983)

1955-1956

Oles Bejzyk [Bejyk]

1956-1960

James Somerville McKessock (1911-1983)

Teachers

Period

Teachers

1926-1927

Lucille Kemp (grades 1-4), Evangeline M. Turner (grades 5-9)

1927-1928

Janet Duncan (grades 1-4), Sarah Hershfield (grades 5-9)

1928-1929

M. B. Hunter (grades 4-6, 1929), Mrs. A. P. Olson (grades 4-7, 1928), P. M. Thorsteinson (grades 4-7, 1928), Marguerite Tod (grades 4-6, 1929), Mrs. Marie Wall (grades 4-7, 1928)

1929-1930

Beryl Dack (grades 1-3), Ethel M. Groves (grades 4-8)

1930-1931

Ethel M. Groves (grades 4-8), Margaret Frances Jackson (grades 1-3)

1931-1932

Ethel M. Groves (grades 4-8), Margaret Frances Jackson (grades 1-3)

1932-1933

Margaret Frances Jackson (grades 4-8), Mary Asenath Kelly (grades 1-3, 1932), Mabel Irene McKay (grades 1-3, 1933)

1933-1934

Margaret Frances Jackson (grades 4-8), Mabel Irene McKay (grades 1-3)

1934-1935

Margaret Frances Jackson (grades 4-8), Emily Ann Priest (grades 1-3)

1935-1936

Adam William Muzychuk (grades 4-9), Emily Ann Priest (grades 1-3)

1936-1937

Michael Richard Firman (grades 1-3), Adam William Muzychuk (grades 4-10)

1937-1938

Wanda Anne Chimchak (grades 1-3), William Chimchak (grades 4-10)

1938-1939

Wanda Anne Chimchak (grades 1-4), William Chimchak (grades 5-10)

1939-1940

Wanda Anne Chimchak (grades 1-4), William Chimchak (grades 5-10)

1940-1941

Wanda Anne Chimchak (grades 1-4), William Chimchak (grades 5-10)

1941-1942

Wanda Anne Chimchak (grades 1-4), William Chimchak (grades 5-10)

1942-1943

William Chimchak (grades 1-10)

1943-1944

Colin Doroschuk (grades 1-10)

1944-1945

Colin Doroschuk (grades 1-10)

1945-1946

Colin Doroschuk (grades 1-9)

1946-1947

Colin Doroschuk (grades 1-10)

1947-1948

Colin Doroschuk (grades 1-9)

1948-1949

Colin Doroschuk (grades 1-9)

1949-1950

Colin Doroschuk (grades 1-10)

1950-1951

Colin Doroschuk (grades 1-9)

1951-1952

Colin Doroschuk (grades 1-8)

1952-1953

Colin Doroschuk (grades 1-9)

1953-1954

Colin Doroschuk (grades 1-9)

1954-1955

Margaret Clossick (grades 1-8, 1954), James Somerville McKessock (grades 9-11), G. Laurine Smith (grades 1-8, 1955)

1955-1956

Oles Bejzyk [Bejyk] (grades 9-11), Jean Yalowica (grades 1-8)

1956-1957

James Somerville McKessock (grades 9-11), Jean Yalowica (grades 1-8)

1957-1958

James Somerville McKessock (grades 9-11), William Krihinicki (grades 1-8)

1958-1959

James Somerville McKessock (grades 9-11), Tony Sorokaski (grades 1-8)

1959-1960

James Somerville McKessock (grades 9-11), Tony Sorokaski (grades 1-8)

1960-1961

Tony Sorokaski (grades 1-8)

1961-1962

Tony Sorokaski (grades 1-8)

1962-1963

Tony Sorokaski (grades 1-8)

1963-1964

Tony Sorokaski (grades 1-8)

1964-1965

Virginia Zubyk (grades 1-8)

1965-1966

Ivan Mike Packulak (grades 1-8)

1966-1967

Ivan Mike Packulak (grades 1-8)

Among the other teachers of Meleb School were H. [N.?] Dorosh (1917), H. T. Duris (1917), J. E. Golembioski (1918-1919), Hnat Onofreyo (1921-1922), Nicholas Boychuk (1925), Evangeline M. Turner (1925), and William Jerowsky (c1951).

Photos & Maps

Meleb School

Meleb School (no date) by H. D. Cumming
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 13.

Former Meleb School building

Former Meleb School building (circa 1990)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 81.

Meleb School commemorative monument with the former school building in the background

Meleb School commemorative monument with the former school building in the background (August 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.72881, W97.21853
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Meleb-Park-Cumming Schools Reunion Park (RM of Armstrong)

Sources:

A History of Education in the Evergreen School Division by John C. Gottfried, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1965.

Plans and shop drawings (GS 0100), Meleb School District No. 1665, GR3125, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Meleb School District No. 1665 Daily Registers, GR6124, Archives of Manitoba.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 5 April 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.