Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years


Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Top 10

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:

Manitoba History No. 90

No. 90

War Memorials in Manitoba
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old

Abandoned Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: King George Fifth School (261 Youville Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Designed by Winnipeg architect Henry W. Greene and built of stone from the quarries at Garson, this 14-classroom school opened in 1916 in the Norwood area of St. Boniface, as one of the first fireproof schools in Manitoba. A free public skating rink was also established on the school grounds to discourage use of the Red River ice surface.

The school closed in June 1989 due to declining enrollment. A flag lowering ceremony on 29 June 1989 was attended by many alumni, including Mary Reid, a student of the school when it opened in 1916 who later taught there. In 1990, with mounting maintenance costs and no long-term tenants, the building was put up for sale. It is now used by a private Christian school.





Alfred Blakely Gillespie (1870-1939)


William Alexander Shannon (1883-?)




William Dowell Bayley (1879-1955)


Miss M. C. Erwin (Acting)


William Dowell Bayley (1879-1955)


Harry Bingham Donnelly (1888-1980)




Mrs. M. Peacock




Robinson Erle Hamilton (1892-1965)




Edward James Marshall (1901-1964)




Raymond Arthur Joseph “Ray” Labelle (c1931-1981)




R. J. Hibbert




Lorne William Ferley (1934-2014)


School Year



Miss Jean Berube (grade 4), Miss Grace Henry (grade 6), Miss Alma Iredale (grade 3), Miss Maggie Irwin (grade 7), Miss Helen Neelin (grade 5), Miss Mary Reardon (grade 1), William A. Shannon (grade 8), Miss Jennie Sharman (grade 1), Miss Myrtle Spencer (grade 2)

Among the other teachers were May Maty Somerville, Mary Reid (1930-1949), and Raymond Labelle.

Photos & Maps

King George V School

King George V School (circa 1915)
Source: Education Department Report, 1915, Manitoba Legislative Library.

King George V School

King George V School (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 96.

King George V School

The former King George V School (June 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.88057, W97.10816
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: King George School No. 1242 (RM of Rossburn)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: King George School (430 Victoria Avenue East, Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: George V School (265 Grey Street, Winnipeg)


“St. Boniface cheque,” Manitoba Free Press, 15 March 1916, page 5.

“Throws light on school trouble,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 August 1916, page 7.

“Teachers’ trouble at St. Boniface,” Manitoba Free Press, 25 August 1916, page 4.

“Skating rink for school,” Manitoba Free Press, 20 November 1916, page 3.

“Prof. Shannon new Principal of King George Fifth School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 December 1916, page 3.

“King George School to reopen Tuesday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 31 August 1917, page 2.

“School Principal asked to explain,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 August 1921, page 5.

“School Board ‘fires’ Bayley; plan appeal,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 August 1921, page 6.

“Teachers’ Federation supports W. Bayley,” Ottawa Journal, 16 August 1921, page 13.

“Program announced for opening day at King George V. School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 31 August 1921, page 3.

“Board decides Bayley should be reinstated,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 October 1921, page 3.

“Principal W. D. Bayley resumes duties at King George School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 October 1921, page 1.

“Delegation will ask Bayley reinstatement,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 January 1922, page 11.

“552 new pupils to be enrolled in St. Boniface,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 September 1922, page 2.

“Important St. Boniface Schools,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 September 1922, page 5.

“Allaire feels pinch,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 June 1967, page 23.

“Maroons die, Mohawks enter senior hockey,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 September 1967, page 24.

“Four school safety patrols honored,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 June 1974, page 71.

“Local history,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly South Edition, 16 April 1989, page 1.

“The last hurrah,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly South Edition, 2 June 1989, page 7.

“King George V School up for sale,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly South Edition, 10 June 1990, page 1.

“Goodbye King George V School,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly South Edition, 23 June 1991, page 2.

“Science symposium honors founding member, Lorne Ferley,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly South Edition, 9 June 1991, page 5.

Henderson’s Directory for Winnipeg, Peel Bibliography, University of Alberta.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 30 November 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.