Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. John Kant School / King George School No. 1242 (Municipality of Rossburn)
Known originally as St. John Kant School District when it was established in December 1902, it was later renamed King George School. A one-room schoolhouse was erected on the southeast quarter of 15-19-23 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Rossburn. Around 1929, a second classroom was added but it was closed in 1938 as student enrollment waned. The closed classroom was used as a teacherage. The school closed in 1959 and the remaining students went to Oakburn Consolidated School No. 255. The school building is no longer present at its former site but a fieldstone monument, dedicated on 22 July 1984, commemorates it.
The school teachers included M. Drabiniasty (1907), Steven Lytwyn (1908-1909), A. Klymkiw (1909-1911), K. Gwozdicky (1912-1913), D. M. Wowk (1913-1914), Jacob Maydanyk (?-?), Michael Radzyk, D. M. Wowk (1917-1918), Miss Emily Bilinski (1920-1921), J. Nazarewich (1921-1922, 1925), Irene Waluk (1922-1923), J. W. Melowsky (1923-1924), J. M. Panisiak (1924-1925), Miss Mary Toponicky (1925-1929), Miss Marcia Korol (1929-1931), Miss Mary Perch (1929-1931), Miss Anna Gregor (1931-1936), Miss Anne Bosiak (1931-1933), Steven Hyrtsak (1933-1934), Miss Dorothy Bugera (1934-1937), John Tutkaluke (1936-1937), A. E. Presley (1937-1938), Miss Rose Zubrack (1938-1939), Mrs. Rose Kondra (1939-1940), Mrs. Mary Ewashko (1940-1941), Mrs. Marcia Ewashko (1941-1942), Mr. Dan Stasuik (1942-1943), Mr. Bill Raginski (1943-1945), Miss Olga Hersak (1945-1947) Mrs. Olga Yarish (1947-1950), John Kowalchuk (1950-1951), Mrs. Mary Matiation (1952-1953), Joseph Zatylny (1953), Mrs. Helen Antonation (1954), Jerry Matiation (1954-1955), Mrs. Jerry Matiation (1955-1958), and Zane Matiation (1958-1959).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
On the Sunny Slopes of the Riding Mountains, A History of Rossburn and District, Volume 1 by Rossburn History Club, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.R78 Ont]
We thank Rick Yarish and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 April 2019
Back to top of page