Historic Sites of Manitoba: Justice Consolidated School No. 696 (Justice, RM of Elton)
The Justice Consolidated School District, centred in the village of Justice in the Rural Municipality of Elton, became one of the first participants in the consolidation movement of the early 20th century. It brought students from several surrounding rural schools, including Aikenside School No. 157, Nelles School No. 696, and Young School No. 352, to a new building (erected in 1912 on a design by Winnipeg architect W. W. Blair) to one central location. Through the years, as other rural schools closed, it drew students from Campbell School No. 186, Elton School No. 131, Gourlay School No. 695, Matheson School No. 1062, and Orange Hall School No. 1069. Justice School closed in June 1967 and its area became part of the Elton Municipal School District No. 2360.
Among the other teachers of Justice School were Agnes Davidson (1913), Evelyn Pentland (1913-1914), Annie Andrews (1913-1915), Nellie Holden (1914-1916), B. McNevin (1915-1916), J. Duilan (1916-1917), Annie Falconer (1916-1919), Alice Bisset (1917-1918), Gladys Christie (1918-1919), Jean Brown (1919-1920), Gladys Pearson (1919-1920), W. I. Stewart (1919-1921), D. McDonald (1919-1920), Mildred Thornton (1920-1923), Olive Falconer (1921-1922), W. Logan (1922-1923), Marjory Davis (1922-1923), R. Slauson (1922-1923), A. Emerson (1923-1924), Margaret Elliott (1923-1925, 1926-1927), Marjorie Hogarth (1925-1926), Dianne Lucow (1927-1928), Ruby Magee (1928-1929), Kay Kellar (1929-1930), Helen McLennan (1930-1933), Doris Moore (1933-1934), Margaret Sutherland (1934-1935), Ruby Black (1934-1935), Edna Elder (1935-1937), Helen Brownell (1937-1940), Verna Hughes (1940-1941), Gwen Waring (1941-1942), Jean Justice (1942-1943), Phyllis Hill (1943-1945), Merle Westbrook (1945-1946), Donna Douglas (1946-1948), Eileen Wray (1948-1949), Muriel Hunter (1949-1951), Sam Sigardson (1951-1952), Florence Chambers (1951-1953), Dorothy Cox (1959-1960), Elaine Kolke (1953-1956), Hazel Adams (1956-1957), Janie Crossen (1957-1958), Marion Badgley (1958-1959), Elaine Bollman (1958-1961), A. W. Parils (1960-1961), Adelaide Feil (1961-1963), Jean Witter (1962-1967), Lorna Richardson (1963-1964), Glenda Holmes (1964-1965), and Carol Armstrong (1965-1967).
Photos & Coordinates
Tenders, Manitoba Free Press, 5 August 1911, page 3.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Homesteaders and Homemakers: A History of Elton Municipality in its First Century by Elton Historical Committee, 1973. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.E48 Hom]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
We thank Nathan Kramer and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 March 2023