Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Gourlay School No. 695 (RM of Elton)

Gourlay School District was formally established in February 1892, and a building was erected on this site in the northwest quarter of 22-12-18 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Elton. It closed in August 1951 and remaining students went to Glanton School No. 481, Moore Park School No. 1008, or Justice Consolidated School No. 696. A monument was erected in front of the former school building in October 2001, in commemoration of former pupils, teachers, and pioneers of the district. The schoolhouse has since been removed from the site.

Among the teachers of Gourlay School were Ella Buchaan (1914-1916), Marie McGregor (1917-1918), Treva Seddon (1918-1919), Pearl Sharpin (1920-1921), Ethel Cluff (1921-1924), Opal Smith (1924-1925), Marjorie Truss (1925-1926), Runa Bjarnison (1926-1929), Winnifred Anderson (1929-1932), Vera Delgatty (1932-1936), Viola Bishop (1936-1937), Matilda Vinters (1937-1938), Ruby Cranswick (1938-1940), Hildur Peterson (1940-1942), Lorraine Hargraves (1942-1943), Thelma Ardron (1943-1944), Rose Munn (1944-1946), Roberts Champman (1946-1947), Margaret McConnel (1947-1948), and Rhoda Blair (1948-1952).

Gourlay School

Gourlay School (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 117.

The former Gourlay School

The former Gourlay School (January 1977) by Lawrence Stuckey
Source: Stuckey Collection, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University, 1-2002.3.3.BNE[324a]

The former Gourlay School

The former Gourlay School (June 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Gourlay School commemorative monument

Gourlay School commemorative monument (April 2020)
Source: Kathryn Hyndman

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.03395, W99.86606
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Homesteaders and Homemakers: A History of Elton Municipality in its First Century by Elton Historical Committee, 1973. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.E48 Hom]

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank David Ford and Kathryn Hyndman for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 21 April 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.