Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Matheson School No. 1062 (RM of Elton)

The Matheson School District was organized in April 1900, named for the Matheson family who homesteaded in the area. A school building operated, as of 1905, on the northeast corner of 35-11-17 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Elton. It closed in 1920 due to low student enrollment but reopened again in 1938 and operated until June 1945 when it closed permanently, after which students in this area went to Derry School No. 1052, Norman School No. 484, Douglas School No. 591, or Justice School No. 696. The district was dissolved in 1953. The building was used as a granary for a time but was standing vacant at the site as of the 1980s. It was not there at the time of a site visit in September 2011.

The teachers of Matheson School between 1903 and 1920 were Mary Noble, Annie Dickie, Nellie Chesler, Lena Dorsez, Vina Crawford, Aleda B. Gilroy, Myrtle Dunsmore, Alice Finley, Fred Hall, Mr. Sheared, Alison Usher, Eva Mitchell, Myrtle Byram, Jessie Smith, and Bernice Hay. The teachers from 1938 to 1945 were Anne Willman, Mrs. Lillian Mitchell, Stanley Fee, Clara Beswitherick, Margaret Olmstead, Meryl Gillespie, and Olive Walton.

Matheson School

Matheson School (no date) by J. B. Morrison
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 49.

Matheson School

The vacant Matheson School building (1980s)
Source: A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba, 1994

Site Location (lat/long): N49.97446, W99.68380
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Homesteaders and Homemakers: A History of Elton Municipality in its First Century by Elton Historical Committee, 1973. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.E48 Hom]

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Quest in Roots by Brookdale Historical Society, 1987. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.B81Que]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 24 January 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.