Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Orange Hall School No. 1069 (RM of Elton)

The Orange Hall School District was organized formally in April 1900 and a wood frame, brick veneer schoolhouse was constructed at the southeast corner of SE36-11-18W in the Rural Municipality of Elton, on one acre of land purchased from local farmer James Hoey at a cost of $15. Classes were held in an Orange Lodge Hall at NW30-11-17W until the new school building was ready. The school closed permanently in 1946 due to low student enrollment. The district was dissolved in 1953 and its area was divided between the Justice Consolidated School District, Clinton School District, and Turriff School District. No remnant of the former school remains at the site.

The teachers of Orange Hall School were Miss Jickling (1900), E. A. Pentland (1908), Mable Johnson (1910), M. M. Wocks (1911), Louise A. Stocker (1911), Margaret B. Stark (1912-1914), Barbara E. Smith (1914-1915), Annie D. Bligh (1915-1916), Mary E. McPhail (1917-1918), Violet M. Sandercock (1918-1921), Martha C. Grant (1920), Amy W. Robertson (1921-1923), Katie M. Fraser (1924-1926), Ruby M. McBain (1926-1928), Winnifred Margaret Greer (1928-1930), Lucy Emily Smart (1930-1933), Frank Irvin Walker (1933-1937), Lily May Nevin (1939-1940), Mrs. Doris Armstrong Mitchell (1940-1941), Mabel Geneieve Mansfield (1942), Florence May Goodeve (1942-1943), Gwendoline Wood (1943), Una McDonald (1944), and Miss M. Reid (1946).

Orange Hall School

Orange Hall School (no date) by A. J. Hatcher
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 50.

Site Location (lat/long): N49.96061, W99.79802
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Orangehill School No. 794 (RM of Pembina)

Sources:

Homesteaders and Homemakers: A History of Elton Municipality in its First Century by Elton Historical Committee, 1973. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.E48 Hom]

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba School Records Collection (GR0257), Orange Hall School District No. 1069 Daily Registers, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 28 February 2016

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.