Historic Sites of Manitoba: Aikenside School No. 157 (RM of Elton)
The Aikenside School District was organized formally in July 1884 and a one-room school operated at NE24-12-18W in the Rural Municipality of Elton. The name was apparently selected when the first teacher, Dorothy M. Curle, read a book entitled Aikenside. The school closed in 1911 and students from this area went to Moore Park Consolidated School. The former school building was moved to another site to become a portion of a private residence.
The teachers of Aikenside School were Dorothy M. Curle (1884, 1886-1887), Minnie E. Lewis (1885), George P. Bawden (1893), Florence H. Barroger (1894), Herbert Hancock (1895), Jacob Arbuckle (1897, 1901), Bedford A. Tingley (1898-1899, 1902), Cora White (1900), C. Wallace Stewart (1903), Sam M. Creelman (1904), S. Muir Creelman (1905), Bessie Archibald (1905), Cecil Swenerton (1907), Helen Lee (1907), T. C. Jerrom (1908), Pearl More (1908), Ella Noble (1908), J. A. Reid (1910), and W. G. Pearce (1910-1911).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Homesteaders and Homemakers: A History of Elton Municipality in its First Century by Elton Historical Committee, 1973. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.E48 Hom]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 February 2017
Back to top of page