Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rosedale Methodist Church / Rosedale United Church / Churchill Park United Church (525 Beresford Avenue, Winnipeg)
The Rosedale Methodist Church began with the 2 June 1910 meeting of the South Winnipeg District of the Methodist Conference of Manitoba. Chairman Andrew Stewart appointed Wesley College student minister A. H. Stook to take pastoral charge of a church-plant in Winnipeg. The first summer service was held 14 August 1910 with 18 members under a large tent at the corner of Nassau Street at Beresford Avenue. With winter pending, tenders were called and a white-painted frame building was erected on the same site. It opened 30 October 1910 and was expanded a further 12 feet in late 1911, adding room for a parlor and kitchen. The church reopened in early January 1912, the building and expansion having cost $8,671. Further improvements were made at a cost of $1,500. Between 1919 and 1922, a parsonage was purchased nearby, at 357 Rosedale Avenue, for $5,000. In February 1918, an Honor Roll was formed, citing the names of 40 church members who had served to date in the First World War.
On 21 November 1948, the cornerstone of a new expansion was laid by two founding members of the church, Mr. and Mrs. F. C. Woodcock, amongst a crowd of 200 congregants and church leadership. The St. Cecilia-style building, designed by the architectural firm of Prain and Ward, and built by contractor J. R. Bugby at a cost of around $40,000, featured a brick exterior with chancel and beam ceiling construction. The new building sat 250 people and was built adjacent to the old structure. It was opened and dedicated on 6 March 1949. The structure was expanded upon again in 1957 at a cost of $150,000, designed by the firm of Prain and Ward. The main hall now featured seating for 400 and was dedicated to Reverend Hugh McFarlane. Additions featured a lounge, minister’s study, club rooms, and nursery and kindergartens.
The Rosedale Methodist Church became the Rosedale United Church. In 1995, the Rosedale United Church and Riverview United Church merged to become the Churchill Park United Church. Inside the church are honour rolls commemorating parishioners who served and were casualities in the First World War.
Photos & Coordinates
First World War Casualties
“Rosedale Methodist Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 January 1912, page 5.
“Rosedale Methodists unveil Honor Roll,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 February 1918, page 6.
“Rosedale United will celebrate 18th birthday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 October 1928, page 16.
“Rev. S. J. Parsons, of Rosedale Church, is called to Brandon,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 June 1937, page 9.
“Congregation extends welcome to new Minister,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 November 1937, page 18.
“Rev W. H. Leech dies suddenly,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 December 1938, page 3.
“Two Ministers receive calls,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 January 1944, page 13.
“Rosedale United began services in tent,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 November 1946, page 14.
“Church pioneers lay cornerstone,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 November 1948, page 5.
“To dedicate new Rosedale Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 March 1949, page 9.
“Old and new churches filled at Rosedale United dedication,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 March 1949, page 7.
“A record of growth since 1910,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 November 1957, page 35.
“Church turns 75 Sunday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 November 1985, page 66.
Obituary [D. Wilton Fraser], Winnipeg Free Press, 2 March 2003, page B7.
Rosedale United Church: Silver Jubilee Anniversary, 1910-1935, Winnipeg Rosedale United Church, 1935. [Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.]
525 Beresford Avenue, Winnipeg Architecture.
For the names of First World War casualities from Manitoba who do not appear on any physical monument in the province, see the Manitoba Historical Society War Memorial. If you know of a name that is omitted from this list, please contact the MHS War Memorial Researcher Darryl Toews (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Soldiers of the First World War - Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
Canadian Virtual War Memorial, Veterans Affairs Canada.
Financial support for research reported on this page was provided by the Manitoba Heritage Grants Program (2015-2016).
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 8 August 2021