Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


MHS
Fall 2018
Field Trip


Manitoba
History

No. 87


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Riverview Presbyterian Church / Riverview School / Riverview United Church (360 Oakwood Avenue, Winnipeg)

Built at Winnipeg in 1905 at the southeast corner of Pembina Street (now Osborne Street) and Oakwood Avenue, the Riverview Presbyterian Church was the first church in South Fort Rouge. Located near the River Park, a structure measuring 28 by 48 feet was erected on donated property, along with a 20-foot square school classroom. Completed at a cost of $3,000, with capacity for 200 people, the facility opened on 10 September 1905.

The classroom was used for Sunday School under the early direction of T. Gordon Russell. During the week, the space was rented to the Winnipeg School Board for use as Riverview School (1906-1908). The school relocated to its present Casey Street site, with students and staff permanently moving there on 10 November 1908.

Over the years, the building was expanded two times to provide greater capacity, the first in 1910, when the structure was refurbished and expanded by contractor J. B. Morrison at a cost of around $2,400. Work was undertaken between April and July and seating capacity more than doubled to around 450, with the church’s reopening service held on 10 July 1910.

When the congregation commissioned a new structure in 1925, at a cost of $50,000, the old building was relocated to the rear of the site and converted into a gymnasium. The adjacent Christan Education Building / Hall was built in 1956 and dedicated in March of that year. Following a mortgage-burning ceremony in April 1960, the hall was named in honour of Reverend George M. F. Marshall.

Clerics (Riverview Presbyterian Church / Riverview United Church)

Period

Cleric

1905

William Gilmour (1880-1938)

1906

Daniel McIvor (1871-1965)

1907-1916

John Irvine [Irving] Walker (1876-1945)

1916-1928

David Flemming (1865-1941)

1928-1936

William Alexander MacLean (1867-1942)

1937-1947

William Briggs (?-?)

1947-1950

Thomas Shanly Watson (1884-1977)

1950-1959

George Mervyn Foster Marshall (1909-?)

1959-?

Victor H. Sangwine

Principals (Riverview School)

Period

Principal

1906-1907

Lela Helen McKnight (1886-1954)

1907-1908

Jessie Lula Ireland (1886-1950)

1908

See Riverview School

Photos & Maps

Fire insurance map of the Riverview Presbyterian Church area

Fire insurance map of the Riverview Presbyterian Church area (circa 1917)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Western Canada Fire Underwriters Association, Series 2, Winnipeg - Sheet 404.

Riverview United Church

Riverview United Church (October 2015)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.86265, W97.13198
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Riverview School (Casey Street, Winnipeg)

Sources:

“Riverview Presbyterian Church,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 October 1905, page 56.

“Riverview Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 December 1905, page 22.

“Changes in city schools,” Manitoba Free Press, 31 August 1907.

“Two new schools,” Manitoba Free Press, 9 November 1908, page 3.

“Tenders for Riverview Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 April 1910, page 5.

“Riverview Church opening,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 July 1910, page 5.

“Riverview Church,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 July 1910, page 19.

“Riverview Church has 132 in Army,” Winnipeg Tribune, 25 March 1916, page 23.

“Riverview Church to open Sunday,” Manitoba Free Press, 12 December 1925, page 29.

“Resigns,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 March 1938, page 32.

“32nd birthday celebration at Riverview,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 October 1939, page 16.

“Anniversary to Riverview to be marked,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 October 1940, page 18.

“Rev. T. S. Watson is invited to Riverview United,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 May 1947, page 3.

“Riverview United inducts Marshall as new Minister,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 September 1950, page 25.

“Rosedale scouts plan for tudor rose tea,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 April 1957, page 22.

“Golden Jubilee at Riverview,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 October 1957, page 33.

“Riverview United names 10 to Board of Managers,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 February 1960, page 18.

“Sacred music to the fore in United Church services,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 April 1960, page 22.

“United - 2 services for nursing graduates,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 May 1960, page 28.

“Riverview United okays new Manse,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 February 1961, page 5.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 14 May 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.