A three-storey warehouse at the northeast corner of Mulvey Avenue East and Osborne Street in Winnipeg, measuring 246 feet by 80 feet, was designed by local architects John Woodman and Raymond Marwood-Elton Carey, and built in 1912 by contractor John McQuarrie at a cost of about $100,000. It was used by the Blackwood’s Brewery as a soda and mineral water factory, adjacent to its pickle factory at 415 Mulvey and brewery at 409 Mulvey.
In 1924, the building was sold to United Assets Limited and then purchased by James Richardson and Sons in 1929. Occupants through the years included the Western Sales Book Company (1920s to 1940s), Dominion Envelope and Cartons Limited (1950s), James B. Carter Limited and L & S Electric Manufacturing Limited (1960s), Temro Division of Budd Canada (1983s), and most recently a clothing manufacturing plant, an architectural firm, and a collectibles flea market.
Blackwood Soda Factory Building (1928)
Source: Winnipeg Tribune fonds, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
Blackwood Soda Factory Building (August 2017)
Source: Nathan Kramer
Blackwood Soda Factory Building (June 2020)
Source: Nathan Kramer
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87260, W97.13990
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: John Woodman (1861-1944)
Memorable Manitobans: Raymond Marwood-Elton Carey (1883-1975)
Memorable Manitobans: John McQuarrie (1849-1929)
Memorable Manitobans: William Blackwood (1849-1935)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Blackwood Pickle Factory Building (415 Mulvey Avenue East, Winnipeg)
Manitoba Business: Blackwood Brothers / Blackwoods Limited
“Bought by new company,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 May 1928, page 8.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 3369/1912, City of Winnipeg Archives.
409 Mulvey Avenue East, Former Pelissier's (Blackwood's) Brewery by Murray Peterson, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, 2002.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk, Nathan Kramer, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 November 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!