Manitoba Business: Winnipeg Electric Railway Company / Winnipeg Electric Company
The Winnipeg Electric Railway Company, formed in 1892 by entrepreneurs William Mackenzie and James Ross, became the Winnipeg Electric Company in 1924. It provided streetcar, gas, and electrical service to Winnipeg and several outlying rural municipalities. Electricity was provided from two main sources: a steam-generating plant at Assiniboine Avenue and Main Street, and three hydroelectric generating stations on the Winnipeg River: Pinawa Generating Station (constructed between 1903 and 1906), Great Falls Generating Station (constructed between 1914 and 1928), and Seven Sisters Generating Station (constructed between 1929 and 1952). The company was sold in January 1953 to the Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 June 2019Back to top of page