Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Electric Company Logan Substation (1113 Logan Avenue, Winnipeg)
This Winnipeg property, located near the northwest corner of McPhillips Street and Logan Avenue, was acquired in 1911 by the municipal government from realtor William Henry Cross. A substation was erected as part of the Winnipeg Electric Railway Company infrastructure that powered the street railway network. The building measured 25.5 feet wide by 50 feet long and was built of brick and concrete. It was finished at a cost of $4,500.
In January 1953, the company was sold to the Manitoba Hydro-Electric Board. This structure, vacated by the latter 1950s, was eventually demolished.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 989/1912, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Building permits,” Manitoba Free Press, 27 April 1912, page 9.
“Winnipeg Electric Building Sub-Station,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 May 1912, page 11.
“Electric line to Lake Winnipeg,” Manitoba Free Press, 7 August 1912, page 22.
“Winnipeg Electric values Railway at $13,000,000,” Manitoba Free Press, 15 May 1925, page 12.
“More links in Winnipeg's power chain,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 April 1964, page 40.
“One of the best years for City Hydro,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 April 1964, page 33.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 29 May 2022