Memorable Manitobans: Dennis Hampton Carter (1920-2012)
Born at Montreal, Quebec on 9 October 1920, eldest son of George W. Carter and Edith Carter, he grew up at Croydon, England while his father worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway in London. He returned to Canada in 1939, coming to Winnipeg where he attended the University of Manitoba and graduated with Honours from the School of Architecture in 1945. He was awarded the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada Gold Medal.
In 1947, in partnership with Ernest John Smith and Walter Katelnikoff, he established the firm of Smith, Carter and Katelnikoff. It became one of Canada’s largest architectural and engineering practices. He served as a President of the Manitoba Association of Architects and Royal Winnipeg Ballet. In recognition of his contributions to the field of architecture, he was inducted into the College of Fellows of the Royal Architectural Institute of Architects (1963).
On 5 June 1948, he married Barbara Beatrice Hare (1925-1998, daughter of D. Sims Hare) at the First Lutheran Church and they subsequently had a daughter and a son. He was a member of the Winnipeg Flying Club, Western Canada Aviation Museum (for which he helped to restore a vintage Tiger Moth aircraft), Manitoba Historical Society, and Zoological Society of Manitoba.
He died at Winnipeg on 21 June 2012.
“Engagement notices,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 May 1948, page 16.
“Honor for city architect,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 May 1963.
Obituary [Barbara Beatrice Carter], Winnipeg Free Press, 6 January 1998, page 31.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 May 2023