Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
The first Safeway grocery stores in Manitoba were designed by the Winnipeg-based architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers and constructed in mid-1929. In August 1935, Safeway Stores acquired the assets of Piggly Wiggly Canadian Limited and converted some its stores to the Safeway banner.
Manitoba Stores (1930s)
“Big system of chain groceries is coming here,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 November 1928, page 3.
“Safeway stores establish main branch in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 July 1929, page 8.
“Safeway stores receive four building permits,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 July 1929, page 3.
“Safeway Stores to locate here,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 11 July 1929, page 1.
“250 completed stores in west firm’s program,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 September 1929, page 32.
“Dramatic developments in Winnipeg herald important changes in retail business,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 October 1929, page 5.
“Safeway chain to build four stores in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 September 1932, page 3.Error processing SSI file
“Probe hears of Piggly Wiggly stores setup,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 October 1935, page 3.
Souris Then and Now: A Pictorial History by William J. Sanderson, 1989, page 50.
We thank Leslie Mckendry-Smith, George Penner, Ken Storie, and Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 December 2022