Historic Sites of Manitoba: Safeway Store No. 506 (595 Broadway, Winnipeg)
This one-storey brick building on Broadway in Winnipeg, measuring 32 feet by 80 feet, was designed by architectural firm Northwood and Chivers. It was constructed in 1929 by contractor William Arthur Irish, at a cost of about $12,000, as a grocery for Safeway Stores Limited.
Its exterior had been heavily modified and the building was in use as a pharmacy at the time of a 2020 site visit.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 3146/1929, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Safeway stores establish main branch in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 July 1929, page 8.
“Safeway stores receive four building permits,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 July 1929, page 3.
“2-day opening,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 October 1929, page 6.
“For Easter … It’s Swift’s premium ham,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 April 1936, page 12.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner, Nathan Kramer, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 December 2022