Historic Sites of Manitoba: Safeway Store (515 Broadway Avenue, Killarney, RM of Killarney-Turtle Mountain)
This one-storey brick building on Broadway Avenue in Killarney, measuring 32 feet by 80 feet, was designed by the Winnipeg-based architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers. It was constructed in 1929, at a cost of about $12,000, by Brandon-based contractor Alfred Edward White as a grocery for Safeway Stores Limited.
The store closed in 1941 and was occupied by a succession of other businesses through the years, including a florist shop, when the building’s exterior was relatively unmodified from its original appearance. The building was demolished sometime between 2015 and 2018.
“Safeway stores establish main branch in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 July 1929, page 8.
“250 completed stores in west firm’s program,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 September 1929, page 32.
Significant Commercial Sites, Killarney Special Places Project.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Ken Storie and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 May 2023