Historic Sites of Manitoba: Safeway Store No. 520 (129 Marion Street, Winnipeg)
This one-storey brick building on Marion Street in Winnipeg, designed by the architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers, was constructed as a grocery for Safeway Stores Limited. It opened officially on 30 November 1929.
The storefront has been extensively renovated from the original, and the building hosted two small shops at the time of a 2020 site visit.
“Safeway stores establish main branch in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 July 1929, page 8.
[Advertisement: “Announcing the opening of two more stores”], Winnipeg Tribune, 29 November 1929, page 5.
“For Easter … It’s Swift’s premium ham,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 April 1936, page 12.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 December 2022