Historic Sites of Manitoba: Canadian Moline Plow Building (669 Logan Avenue, Winnipeg)
This one-storey brick building at the northeast corner of Chambers Street and Logan Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect John Hamilton Gordon Russell and constructed in 1905 as a four-storey structure. Its original owner was the Canadian Moline Plow Company but, by 1918, the building was occupied by the C. S. Judson Company. On 28 September 1918, a fire destroyed the building and its entire contents of agricultural implements, farm power machinery, hardware, farm supplies, wire fencing, and harness, valued at about $250,000. In the aftermath of the fire, the uppermost three storeys were removed.
The building was later occupied by the Dominion General Jobbers Limited (1927-?), a bakery for Safeway Stores Limited (1929-?), Consolidated Packers (circa 1935), and Scott Hide Company (circa 1939).
The MOLINE name is still slightly visible over the entrance door facing Logan Avenue.
“Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 12 May 1905, page 2.
“A year’s industrial growth and wholesale Winnipeg in 1905,” Manitoba Free Press, 30 October 1905, pages 40-41.
“Disastrous fire on Logan Avenue,” Manitoba Free Press, 30 September 1918, page 5.
“To all general storekeepers of Winnipeg and the West,” Manitoba Free Press, 13 August 1927, page 2.
“Bread,” Manitoba Free Press, 30 November 1929, page 6.
We thank Norman Smyth for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 13 January 2023