Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Land Titles Building (433 Broadway, Winnipeg)

The Winnipeg Land Titles building was designed by provincial architect Samuel Hooper and constructed between 1903 and 1904 by the Manitoba Construction Company. The building opened to the public on 10 July 1905.

It replaced a nearby three-storey building that had served the same function. This earlier structure was located east of this site, closer to the northwest corner of Broadway and Kennedy (about N49.88668, W97.14586). Between April 1889 and May 1890, space in the upper two floors of this building had been used for classrooms of the Manitoba School for the Deaf. After its replacement opened in July 1905, the old building was renovated so new tenants could move in around November of that year. They included the staff from various provincial offices and departments, such as the Fire Commissioner, Liquor Licencing, Game Guardians, Provincial Police Department, a courtroom presided over by Provincial Police Magistrate Alexander McMicken, and additional space for the Land Titles Office. The building was demolished in late 1912 to make way for the present Winnipeg Law Courts Building.

Registrar Generals

Period

Registrar General

1884-1886

James Andrew Miller (1839-1886)

1886-1929

William Elliott Macara (1859-1929)

1929-1940

Stewart Murray Battram (1872-1951)

1940-1948

Edwin A. “Monte” Pridham (1883-1973)

1949-1950

Isaac Hartley Bell (1884-1972)

1950-1956

Charles Norman Jamieson (1889-1976)

1956-1969

Harold Roy McKay (1904-1975)

1969-?

Donald McLaurin “Don” Lamont (1920-2008)

Photos & Coordinates

The earlier Winnipeg Land Titles Building

The earlier Winnipeg Land Titles Building
Source: The Manitoba Echo, April 1939, page 8.

Winnipeg Land Titles Building

Winnipeg Land Titles Building (c1910)
Source: Winnipeg Illustrated, Peels Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta

Postcard view of the Winnipeg Land Titles Building

Postcard view of the Winnipeg Land Titles Building (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2014-0316

Winnipeg Land Titles Building

Winnipeg Land Titles Building (October 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Winnipeg Land Titles Building

Winnipeg Land Titles Building (January 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.88646, W97.14721
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Samuel Hooper (1851-1911)

Manitoba Business: Kelly Brothers / Manitoba Construction Company / Kelly Brothers and Mitchell / Thomas Kelly and Sons

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Law Courts Building (391 Broadway, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Boissevain Land Titles Building (North Railway Street, Boissevain)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Land Titles Building (705 Princess Avenue, Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carman Land Titles Building (Second Street SW, Carman)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dauphin Land Titles Building (308 Main Street South, Dauphin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Morden Land Titles Building (351 Stephen Street, Morden)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Neepawa Land Titles Building (329 Hamilton Street, Neepawa)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Newcomb’s Hollow - Old Deloraine Land Titles Office (Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Portage Land Titles Building (103 Third Street NE, Portage la Prairie)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Stonewall Land Titles Building / Stonewall Town Hall (293 Main Street, Stonewall)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Bank Building / Virden Land Titles Office (190 Nelson Street West, Virden)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Land Titles Building (433 Broadway, Winnipeg)

Sources:

“New public buildings,” Winnipeg Tribune, 25 February 1901, page 8.

“Local notes [No tenders for the contract of moving the old buildings...],” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 May 1903, page 13.

“Local news [The heavy stone walls of the new Land Titles building...],” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 October 1903, page 10.

“The Manitoba Construction Company,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 December 1903, page 20.

“Rushing work,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 June 1904, page 1.

“Local notes [The new Land Titles Office is open for business to-day ...],” Manitoba Free Press, 11 June 1905, page 16.

“Numerous changes in departments,” Manitoba Free Press, 4 November 1905, page 22.

“Departments to vacate,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 October 1905, page 16.

“New courthouse plans,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 April 1912, page 32.

“From an early beginning to a permanent home,” The Manitoba Echo, April 1939, page 8.

“Deputy Registrar General promote to Pridham post,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 December 1948, page 23.

“37 years service end for I. H. Bell,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 January 1950, page 3.

“Jamieson gets Land Titles post; McKay is Deputy,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 February 1950, page 2.

“H. McKay named Titles Registrar,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 July 1956, page 3.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Henderson Directories Limited, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 6 January 2024

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!