Designed by Brandon architect Walter Henderson Shillinglaw, the original Brandon Land Titles Building was constructed in 1890.
The present building on Princess Avenue was designed by architect Gilbert C. Parfitt and built by Peter Leitch Construction at a cost of about $100,000. It was opened officially on 22 October 1958 at a ceremony attended by Attorney General Sterling Rufus Lyon, Registrar General Harold Roy McKay, Magistrate William Stordy, Deputy Attorney General Orville Montague Miles Kay, Provincial Architect Basil Roy McPherson, former Registrar General Charles Norman Jamieson, Mayor James Albert Creighton, and Judge Arthur Gordon Buckingham.
Photos & Coordinates
Memorable Manitobans: Walter Henderson Shillinglaw (1864-1957)
Memorable Manitobans: Gilbert C. “Gil” Parfitt (1886-1966)
Manitoba Business: Peter Leitch Construction Company
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Boissevain Land Titles Building (North Railway Street, Boissevain)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Land Titles Building (705 Princess Avenue, Brandon)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Carman Land Titles Building (Second Street SW, Carman)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dauphin Land Titles Building (308 Main Street South, Dauphin)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Morden Land Titles Building (351 Stephen Street, Morden)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Neepawa Land Titles Building (329 Hamilton Street, Neepawa)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Newcomb’s Hollow - Old Deloraine Land Titles Office (Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Portage Land Titles Building (103 Third Street NE, Portage la Prairie)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Stonewall Land Titles Building / Stonewall Town Hall (293 Main Street, Stonewall)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Bank Building / Virden Land Titles Office (190 Nelson Street West, Virden)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Land Titles Building (433 Broadway, Winnipeg)
“District Registrar land titles office retired August 1,” Brandon Sun, 21 July 1939, page 2.
“Retiring Registrar H. L. Rixon, honored by legal profession,” Brandon Sun, 15 May 1940, page 10.
“E. G. Hetherington has resigned as registrar Land Titles Office here,” Brandon Sun, 25 January 1944, page 16.
“Land Titles Office open,” Brandon Sun, 22 October 1958, page 5.
We thank Nathan Kramer, Charles Bird, and Eva Janssen for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 September 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.