This six-storey concrete building on Sherbrook Street in Winnipeg was designed by the architectural firm of Moody Moore and Partners and built between 1959 and 1960 by contractor Gerard Alphonsus “Gerry” Baert. Its initial function was as a hospital operated by the Sanatorium Board of Manitoba for the rehabilitation of disabled, chronically ill, and convalescent people. It had capacity for 158 in-patients and could also handle 200 out-patients daily. In 1972, it was transferred to the Health Sciences Centre.
Postcard view of the Manitoba Rehabilitation Hospital (1960)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2022-0085
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90299, W97.15697
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Moody and Moore / MMP Architects
Memorable Manitobans: Gerard Alphonsus “Gerry” Baert (1906-1971)
MHS Centennial Organization: Sanatorium Board of Manitoba / Lung Association of Manitoba
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg General Hospital / Health Sciences Centre (Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg)
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 July 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!