Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wigton School No. 381 (RM of Argyle)
The Wigton School District was formally established in March 1885 and a school building was erected on the southwest corner of 6-4-13 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Argyle. The school closed in January 1960 and merged with Glenora School No. 736 and Excelsior School No. 449 to form Glenora Consolidated School No. 736. The building was moved to the Glenora School site and attached to it, but a monument commemorates its former site, along with pioneers of the Wigton district.
Among the teachers who worked at Wigton School were Albert Buttress (1893, 1917) and Nora Boyle (1944-1945).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Brian Frederickson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 February 2019
Back to top of page