Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Prairie History No. 1
Prairie
History

No. 1

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glenora School No. 736, 1910-1971 (Glenora, RM of Argyle)

Formally established on 22 November 1892, a school building was erected on the northeast corner of 27-3-13 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Argyle. It burned down in 1910 and a temporary school was built in Glenora. Two years later, it was replaced by a new one-room structure. It burned in 1946 so classes were held in the Glenora Hall until a replacement was built the next year. In January 1960, it merged with Wigton School No. 381 and Excelsior School No. 449 to become Glenora Consolidated School No. 736. The Wigton building was brought here and attached to the existing structure. The school closed in January 1971 and a commemorative monument was unveiled in front of the school on 2 August 1992.

Among the teachers of Glenora School was Thelma Bessie Brown Forbes.

Glenora School

Glenora School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 117.

The former Glenora School building

The former Glenora School building (August 2016)
Source: Desiree Rolfe

Interior of the former Glenora School building

Interior of the former Glenora School building (August 2016)
Source: Desiree Rolfe

Interior of the former Glenora School building

Interior of the former Glenora School building (August 2016)
Source: Desiree Rolfe

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.25143, W99.15389
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glenora School No. 736, 1892-1910 (RM of Argyle)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Baldur District Schools (RM of Argyle)

Sources:

“Aerial view of Glenora, circa 1944,” Charles J. Gingras collection #157, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Ed Grassick, and Desiree Rolfe.

Page revised: 7 December 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.