Historic Sites of Manitoba: Excelsior School No. 449 (RM of Argyle)
Excelsior School was established in July 1885, located on SE21-4-13 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Argyle, at the site of this monument. The school closed in January 1960 and merged with Glenora School No. 736 and Wigton School No. 381 to form Glenora Consolidated School No. 736.
Among the teachers of Excelsior School were Annie F. Playfair (1890s), ? (1890s-1922), Mary J? Renwick (1922-1923), C. McLennan (substitute, March 1923), Cora D. Walden (1923-1924), Dorothy R. Mowat (1924-1925), Jean Richardson (1925-1926), Mary C. Pinn (1926-1927), Una Charlotte Cobbe (1927-1931), Pearl Roberts (1931-1934), Lois Kathleen Tisdale (1934-1936), Mary Jean Reekie (1936-1939), Emily Wareham (1939-1940), Elizabeth Jean Jackson (1940-1941), Susanne Fehr (1941-1942), Leila Roby (1942), Thelma May Syms (1943), Enid Astella Nelson (1943-1944), Alexander “Alex” Brown (1944), Solrune Johnson (1945), Catherine Joyce Madill Orchard (1945-1946), Ruth Muriel Mabon (1946-1947), Myra Constance MacDonald (1947-1948), Barbara Helen Thomson (1948-1949), Neta Agnes Friesen (1949), Betty Isabelle Cullen (1950), Gloria Mary Hutchinson (1950-1951), Elizabeth Victoria Phillips (1951-1952), Elaine Joyce Bint (1952-1953), Edna Helen Hildebrandt (1953-1954), William DooBenen (1954-1955), Mildred Bernice VanDamme (1955-1957), Dolores O. Titchkosky (1957-1958), Irene Marie Walde (1958-1959), and Hilda Martens (1959-1960).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Excelsior School District #449 Daily Registers, GR13491, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 30 August 2019
Back to top of page