Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources
The Victoria School was built in Portage la Prairie in 1916, replacing the East Ward School (built in 1894 on a design by architect George Browne, destroyed by fire on 30 December 1915). Designed by architect Frank Robert Evans, it had ten classrooms and was built at a cost of about $65,000.
A two-storey, eight-classroom designed by the architectural firm of Smith Carter and Katelnikoff was constructed in 1957. An auditorium-gymnasium was added later.
The school closed in June 2007. The building was sold by the Portage la Prairie School Division to the Red River College.
Mrs. Opal Cheater, Mrs. Kathleen Gosman, Miss Clarice Linden, Miss Joyce McCutheon, Miss Theresa O’Neil, Mrs. Florence Rae, Mrs. Winnifred Reid, Miss Bessie Robinson, Miss Jessie Wallace
Photos & Coordinates
Postcard view of East Ward School, destroyed by fire in December 1915 (circa 1908)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2012-0168
East Ward School after the fire (December 1915)
Source: Jean Hamilton-Young Collection, PCI Archive
Postcard view of Victoria School (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 5.
Victoria School (no date)
Source: PCI Archive, Vopni Press Collection, 0262d.
Victoria School (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 904
The former Victoria School (March 2021)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.97187, W98.28222
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Victoria Union School No. 302 (Municipality of Grassland)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Victoria-Albert School (Ellen Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Victoria School No. 49 (RM of Rockwood)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: North Ward School (535 Third Street NW, Portage la Prairie)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: West Ward School (Portage la Prairie)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Central School / Portage Normal School (Portage la Prairie)
Manitoba Business: Smith Carter and Katelnikoff / Smith Carter Architects and Engineers / Architecture49
“Students’ holidays are nearing the end. Schools re-open next Tuesday,” Portage la Prairie Weekly Review, 28 August 1912, page 1.
“Portage school destroyed by fire,” Manitoba Free Press, 31 December 1915, page 2.
“Portage lists teaching staff as school opens,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 September 1951, page 34.
“School addition tender notice [Victoria School],” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 January 1957, page 17.
A History of Portage la Prairie and Surrounding District by Anne M. Collier, 1970, page 147.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
“Schools may be closed in rural areas,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 June 2007, page A6.
Our Dear Old Victoria School, 1917-2007: 90 Years of Excellence by the Victoria Home and School Association, 2007. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.P77Arn]
We thank Nathan Kramer, Rose Kuzina, and James Kostuchuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 December 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.