Historic Sites of Manitoba: Victoria School No. 49 (RM of Rockwood)
The Victoria School District was established in January 1878 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE9-14-2E in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood. The district was dissolved in 1965 and its catchment area became part of the Stonewall Consolidated School District. The building is no longer present at the site but some of its foundation can still be seen.
Among those who attended Victoria School was artist William Kurelek.
Stonewall West topographic map, 62H/11 East, Edition 1, 1952, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Derryl Hall for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 October 2019
Back to top of page