Historic Sites of Manitoba: West Ward School (Portage la Prairie)
A quaint two-storey, two-classroom brick school in Portage la Prairie was designed by Winnipeg architect George Browne and built by local contractor Thomas C. Silverthorne at a cost of $4,500. It opened in December 1894. Its function was eventually assumed by Fort la Reine School, built nearby in 1955, and the building was demolished in 1963.
The other teachers of West Ward School included Mrs. Doris Byas (1951-1952).
Photos & Coordinates
“News of the Portage,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 December 1894, page 7.
Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]
“Portage lists teaching staff as school opens,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 September 1951, page 34.
A History of Portage la Prairie and Surrounding District by Anne M. Collier, 1970, pages 146-147.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 February 2021