Historic Sites of Manitoba: Swan Valley Historical Museum (Swan River)
The Swan Valley Historical Museum and Archives exists to collect, compile, record, publicize, preserve, restore, maintain, display and interpret articles, antiques and artifacts which portray the history and culture of the Swan River Valley from the Ice Age to the present for the education of residents and visitors. There are twenty buildings on the museum grounds, which depict Native and pioneer life in the Swan Valley.
Among the buildings at the museum is Lady Hubble School No. 2098, which operated at SW28-37-28W from 1923 to 1964. The museum also has materials pertaining to West Favelle School No. 1037, Swan River School No. 1047, Durban School No. 1080, Minitonas School No. 1102, and others.
Other buildings include the Darroch Building (built in 1940s and moved to museum in 1999), Bowsman CNR Station, Benito Telephone Office, Ferguson House (built in 1923 and moved to museum in 1997), St. Peter’s Anglican Church (built at Kenville in 1930 and moved to museum in 1978) and the ship Princess (used on Lake Winnipegosis and moved to the museum in 1987).
A plaque commemorates Gertrude Twilley Richardson who was instrumental in organizing the first “Women’s Suffrage Society” in Manitoba on 22 March 1912 which existed until women got the vote in 1917.
Located near Swan River at the junction of Highway 10 and 83, Highway 10 North, on the east side of the bridge, the museum is open from 1 May to 31 September. Call 204-734-3585 for information.
A plaque commemorating the Swan River Valley, erected by the Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba, is located at the entrance to the museum. A second commemorative plaque is located a short distance north of the site.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Page revised: 6 August 2017
Back to top of page