Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lady Hubble School No. 2098 (Municipality of Swan Valley West)
The Lady Hubble School District was established formally in June 1922 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW28-37-28W, in what is now the Municipality of Swan Valley West, from 1923 to 1964. It closed permanently in June 1964 and the district was dissolved in 1967, its catchment area becoming part of the Swan Valley School Division. The former school building was used for a time as a community centre but, in July 1977, it was moved to the Swan Valley Historical Museum.
Among the teachers of Lady Hubble School were Florence Brown, Ursula Koons, Elizabeth Frazer, Robert W. Dalton, Ray Harvey, Ray Peden, Ebor Carruthers, Milly Gundvaldson, Kay Tall, Alice Finlay, Mike Makarchuk, Lionel Clench, Mrs. Rodd, Mrs. Green, Mrs. Helps, Mrs. Shaw, Erna Leopholtz, Ruth Martinussen, Eleanor Einarson, Shirley Madill, Verea Ledrew, M. Dyck, Phyllis Provins, Olive Baskier, and Betty Bailey (1963-1964).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
We thank Michelle Holdway for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 March 2019
Back to top of page