Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


Manitoba
History

No. 86


MHS Summer
Field Trip


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Stevenson School / Stevenson-Britannia School (1777 Silver Avenue, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

Built by the Kraft Construction Company in early 1970, and named for aviation pioneer Frederick J. Stevenson, the Stevenson Junior High School was opened officially on 29 October 1970. A second ceremony on 18 November 1970 involved members of the Stevenson family and the placing of a copper box containing mementos contributed by students in a wall behind the cornerstone.

Principals

Period

Principal

1969-1973

Gary E. Jones

1973-1977

?

1977-1984

William T. “Bill” Betz

1984-1986

Leonard Harvey Goldsborough (1931-2012)

1986-1988

David James Bertnick (1947-2017)

1988-1990

William “Bill” Burdeniuk (1932-2010)

1990-1996

?

1996-1997

Cheryl Chaban

1997-1998

Gregory Mutter

1998-2004

?

2004-2006

Judy Clark

2006-2015

?

2015-2016

Jane Couch

Vice-Principals

Period

Vice-Principal

1970-1973

Ross Narick

1973-1978

?

1978-1979

Lawson Tarbuth
Mr. A. Krahn

1979-1980

Lawson Tarbuth
Sharon Smith

1980-1981

Lawson Tarbuth

1981-1982

Don Loadman

1996-1997

Karen Smith

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1984-1985

Isabel M. Betz, Arlene E. Billeck (grade 3), Mrs. N. Brotchie (grade 1), Miss K. Deyman (grade 5), Mrs. L. Gauld (grade 3), Douglas Hallstead (grade 2), Mr. J. Konecki, Mrs. S. Kushnir (grade 4), Mrs. J. S. Larson (grade 6), Mrs. F. McMullen, Mrs. M. Patton, Mrs. D. Rogalsky, Mrs. M. Schenk (grade 1), Mrs. V. Smith (kindergarten), Mrs. M. Sokoliuk (grade 2), Mr. N. Soltess (grade 6), Mrs. C. E. Sprung (grade 4), Mr. T. Szarkiewicz, Mrs. P. Thompson (kindergarten), Mrs. A. Wiebe (grade 5)

Photos & Maps

No photo is available for this site. If you can provide one, please contact us at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca

Site Location (lat/long): N49.88800, W97.21143
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Britannia School No. 1517 (361 Hampton Street, Winnipeg)

Memorable Manitobans: Frederick Joseph Stevenson (1896-1928)

Sources:

“Stevenson-Britannia School, 1985-1986,” St. James Assiniboia School Division.

“Flyer’s family will attend school opener,” undated newspaper clipping, St. James Assiniboia School Division.

We thank the St. James Assiniboia School Division for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 10 June 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.