This five-storey brick building on Pioneer Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect J. H. G. Russell and constructed in 1906 for the Scott-Bathgate Company, a candy and nut wholesaler operated by A. E. Scott and James Loughrin Bathgate. Initially, the firm occupied only a portion of the space, with such firms as Strong Scott, Moirs, McLeods, and Western Vinegar occupying the remainder. Four years later, the building was expanded by a five-storey addition to its west side. Known for its “Nutty Club” character painted on the outside, it is sometimes referred to as the “Nutty Club Building.” The company also owns an adjacent annex facing onto Portage Avenue East that is connected to the building by an overhead causeway. In June 2017, it became a municipally-designated heritage building.
Street view with Scott-Bathgate Building at centre (no date)
Planning, Property & Development, City of Winnipeg
Scott-Bathgate Building (February 2017)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.89408, W97.13570
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: John Hamilton Gordon Russell (1863-1946)
Memorable Manitobans: James Loughrin Bathgate (1872-1934)
Memorable Manitobans: Albert Edward Scott (1860-1935)
Memorable Manitobans: Joseph Kellaway May (1892-1971)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Black Building (80 Lombard Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Scott-Bathgate Building (149 Pioneer Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, March 2017.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 July 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.