Historic Sites of Manitoba: Safeway Store / Neepawa Banner Building (243 Hamilton Street, Neepawa)
This one-storey brick building on Hamilton Street in Neepawa, measuring 32 feet by 80 feet, was designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers. It was constructed in 1929 by Fusee and McFeetors Company, at a cost of about $15,000, as a grocery for Safeway Stores Limited.
Opened officially on 17 December 1929, Safeway operated the store for ten years until selling it to businessman Sydney Bates in 1939. He operated it successively as Bates and Sons then Red & White. He sold the business to Fred Burgess in 1948 who renamed it as Sunnyside Groceries, continuing until 1969. For the next 18 years, it hosted the offices for the Beautiful Plains School Division then, until 1999, it was occupied by a fabric and giftware store called The Silver Thimble. It has been occupied since 1999 by the Neepawa Banner, now the Neepawa Banner and Press. The building’s exterior is relatively unmodified from its original appearance.
“Safeway stores establish main branch in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 July 1929, page 8.
“250 completed stores in west firm’s program,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 September 1929, page 32.
The History of Neepawa Business, 1883-2018 by Cecil Pittman, Norma Forsman, and Rick Sparling, 2018, pages 384-389.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 December 2022