Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ryerson School / Prairie Sunrise School (10 Ryerson Avenue, Winnipeg)
Located in the Fort Richmond neighbourhood of Winnipeg, named for the adjacent street, this school was built in 1972 on designs of the local architectural firm of Pratt Lindgren Snider Tomcej and Associates. Completed at a cost of $813,560, the facility includes a gymnasium, theatre, resource centre, story pit, Kindergarten, and capacity for 300 students. The Fort Garry School Division facility opened in September 1972 to students of grades K-6 and was officially opened on 25 October 1972.
In November 2021, the school was renamed Prairie Sunrise over concerns about the role of early Canadian educator and cleric Egerton Ryerson (1803-1882) in development of the residential school program in Canada.
Photos & Coordinates
“Fort Garry School Division No. 5,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 February 1972, page 63.
“Still to seek addition,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 September 1972, page 3.
“2 schools officially opened,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 October 1972, page 3.
“Push-button arithmetic - help or hindrance?” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 September 1975, page 17.
“Democracy flushes away men’s room,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 June 1981, page 3.
“For Garry School Board retirement announcement [Virginia Andrew],” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 June 1985, page 10.
“Ryerson Elementary gets new name,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 November 2021, page B2.
We thank Ted Fransen for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 27 November 2021