Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rossendale Consolidated School No. 2419 (Rossendale, Municipality of North Norfolk)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

As rural school consolidation occurred throughout Manitoba in the 1960s, smaller schools around Rossendale closed, including Allandale School No. 1946, Clairmont School No. 1140, Currie School No. 1952, Elmwood School No. 864, Ferris School No. 1442, Hartford School No. 896, Lavenham School No. 742, and South Rossendale School No. 1441. Their students were bused to the new Rossendale Consolidated School, opened in January 1965 with five classrooms and a gymnasium. Children from Long Plains Reserve and, later, Dakota Plains Reserve, also attended the school. It became part of Pine Creek School Division in 1968, and served the community until the mid-1980s, by which time declining enrollment resulted in just one of its classrooms being used for teaching purposes. The school closed in June 1986. The building was later used as a workshop for a oil-seed processing company based at Rossendale, and a new roof was installed around 2010.

Principals

Period

Principal

1964-1965

Janice Kelly

?

Delmer Vanston Dobbin (1918-2017)

?

Malcolm Burt

?

Frank Froese

?

Jim Hardy

?

Adrian De Ruyck

?

Edward MacGregor

?

Arlene Day

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1964-1965

Nellie Henry, Belle Sole, Leona Tomchuk, Margaret Woodward

Other teachers who worked at Rossendale Consolidated School through the years included Eunice Donald, Victoria Donald, Rosalie Cox Bieganski, Frances Marginet, Bruce Stephens, Dale Zimmer, Judy Zimmer, Gisele Bernardin Corrigal, Eunice Pratt, Irene Prefontaine Maclean, Sharon Bystrom, Wendall Keeler, Donna Moore, Carol Zacharias, Freda Moffat, Lois McDougald Evenson, Marilyn Perchak, and Anne Poyser Pallister (1958-1959).

Photos & Coordinates

The former Rossendale Consolidated School building

The former Rossendale Consolidated School building (September 2008)
Source: Jordan Sawatzky

The former Rossendale Consolidated School building

The former Rossendale Consolidated School building (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.82441, W98.61937
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: South Rossendale School No. 1441 (Municipality of Norfolk Treherne)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Rossendale Through the Years, 1982. [Copy at Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.R685Ros]

Through Fields and Dreams: A History of the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk and MacGregor by The History Book Committee of the North Norfolk-MacGregor Archives, 1998, page 1150.

Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.

Obituary [Delmer Vanston Dobbin], Bardal Funeral Home & Crematorium.

We thank Jordan Sawatzky for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 14 May 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.