Historic Sites of Manitoba: South Rossendale School No. 1441 (Municipality of Norfolk Treherne)
Formally established in October 1907 in what is now the Municipality of South Norfolk Treherne, a brick building for South Rossendale School opened in 1908, replacing a log school that had operated in the vicinity since the 1890s. Situated on the southeast corner of 33-9-9 west of the Principal Meridian, it served the educational needs of the local area until 1964 when it closed and students transferred to Rossendale Consolidated School No. 2419. Now situated in a cattle pasture on private land, the school building was, at one time, used as a granary although it shows signs of structural deterioration.
Among the teachers of South Rossendale School were Lee Tomchuk, Edgar K. Marshall, and Edith May Good (1930s).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Through Fields and Dreams: A History of the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk and MacGregor by The History Book Committee of the North Norfolk-MacGregor Archives, 1998, page 1154.
We thank Millie Stuckert, Sandra Garvie, Desiree Rolfe, and Jordan Sawatzky for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 April 2017
Back to top of page