Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lavenham School No. 742 (Lavenham, Municipality of Norfolk Treherne)
Established originally as Rossendale Union School in September 1892, in what is now the Municipality of Norfolk Treherne, the first school building was a log structure, situated on the northwest corner of 29-9-9W. It operated there until 1905, when the school moved to SW6-10-9, remaining there until 1913. It was renamed Lavenham School in 1914 when it was moved to Lavenham. During the 1920s, student enrollment of around 60 necessitated use of the nearby Orange Hall as a second classroom. It closed in January 1964 as part of rural school consolidation, with students going to Rossendale Consolidated School No. 2419. The school building was remodeled as a private residence and a monument was erected on the former school site in 2000.
Among the teachers of Lavenham School were Thomas A. Hill (circa 1929), Mrs. Hugh M. Vernon Henry (1945), and Charles Henry Godfrey.
Obituary [Charles Henry Godfrey], Portage la Prairie Manitoba Leader, 29 April 1954. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
Tiger Hills to the Assiniboine: A History of Treherne and Surrounding District by Treherne Area History Committee, 1976, pages 52-55.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Through Fields and Dreams: A History of the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk and MacGregor by The History Book Committee of the North Norfolk-MacGregor Archives, 1998, page 946.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 April 2019
Back to top of page